Friday, February 11, 2011

Mompetition

Mompetition. Oh, the word. It may sound funny but it really is not. Mompetition obviously came from the words 'mom' and 'competition'. Yes, as what the words suggest, it is competition between moms. And most of the time, it happens in new moms or first-time moms. Women with babies or small children are often the 'contenders' in mompetition. But it is not about a contest like the ones in singing , dancing or chess tournament. It is about how women raise their children. It can be from what kind of milk their baby drinks (breast milk or formula) to whether their baby sleeps through the night or not.

Mompetition revolves around 'what is right and wrong when it comes to childcare'. Moms tend to compare themselves to others on just about anything regarding their families. Who's better at making their babies sleep better, eat healthier foods, use more expensive bottles, etc.
It is not openly spoken but mompetition happens in the real world, specifically in 'mom world', and it happens every single day. Some mom are being obsessed in this kind of competition that it rules their lives. They wouldn't be able to go to sleep unless they know that they own a better bouncer than their neighbor. Or that her baby eats more vegetables than her friend's toddler.

It can be very annoying especially if you are IN the mompetition. You will most likely not enjoy your parenting style because you keep on thinking if it is the best or if your best friend's parenting style is better than yours. You may be unaware of it but you could be one of 'mompetitors' in your place or circle of friends.

I myself think that mompetition is in every mother's heart. It is in our blood. Not because we are hungry for rivalry but because we want to prove to ourselves (and perhaps others) that we are a great parent... maybe better than others. I too can feel it running through my veins. I feel compelled to be the best mom there ever is. Better than any other mom I know. But more often than not, I do my best to enjoy parenthood and don't let mompetition ruin my parenting style.

Yes, there can be times when I compare myself to others but not in a bad way. I try to look at things through their view point and see the reason behind their style of parenting. We really don't know the reason why parents do the things they do in raising their child so I think it isn't right to judge them or compare ourselves to them. Perhaps what's right to you isn't to them or vice versa. So I think it is just right to give other parents space and don't interfere with their ways unless you find it very improper or it endangers their child in any way.



*picture from dailymaildotcomdotuk

No comments:

Post a Comment